Sunday, August 10, 2008

Sunday, August 10

J is still on the ventilator. He is nodding yes or no to questions and looking around the room.

The pulmonologist told mom and Cara that he's convinced that J's lungs are okay. The issue is swelling in the upper respiratory/throat area which is due to irritation probably from the tube.

It has been an up-and-down day. It was nice to have him speak, obviously know people and ask questions. It was scary to see him fight for a breath and frustrating to have the tube put back in place.

Mom mentioned how little pain medication he needed this morning. She was amazed, and the nurses were asking and offering to be sure that he was comfortable.

I guess at this point it's baby steps to recover from the major surgeries so that he can start rehabbing the legs.

Eleanor

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

GREAT NEWS!!! I know it wasn't all that you had hoped for today. I can't imagine your frustration. But, it is still GREAT NEWS!!! I am sure the communication, no matter how minor it appears, it still major to everyone involved.

Prayers continue to be offered for all of you.

Rachelle

Anonymous said...

One day at a time! Any improvement is HUGE! You continue in our thoughts and prayers.
Julie

Anonymous said...

Hang in there! - EP

Steve said...

I used to work with Jerry at Heideman. I just heard about the accident. I will keep you all in my prayers. Jerry is a strong man, and always has been.

Anonymous said...

I know that sometimes it is difficult for patients to be taken off of the ventilator. Hopefully the doctors and nurses have told you that it isn't that uncommon. I know that it will be frustrating for J, but tell him to relax. Play him some Buffet, and let him know that he needs to keep the faith and he will be back on the boat before he knows it. Tell him I will come down and drive for him so he can just sit in the bow and partake in a tall cold one. I promise I'll try not to get the nickname Captain Crunch.......You guys keep your spirits up. There are just too many prayers going to GOD for you guys for J not to recover quickly.
Jim