Sunday, September 28, 2008

September 26 - 28 - Simply Thank You!

All,
Your e-mails and blog comments mean a tremendous amount to me during the valleys.
I would say I am climbing the hill now and I will explain that later.
Should I expose the "captain's log"? That certainly put a smile on my face as well as others who continue to read. Jim, thank you! Most of you should know our love of the lake. A few of you have shared some unforgettable times with us on the lake. Nicknames, beverages of choice, games and conversations will be cherished forever. I, we, can't wait to get back out there next summer to continue the memories and stories! I may not be skiing, but I will still be the captain - even "Captain Crunch" on occasion.

Friday, September 26:
You could tell from my post on Thursday afternoon that things were not perfect. I did not and still do not sleep well, much less through the night. Friday morning came and I could tell I was in no shape to go to work. That was for the best since I had 2 appointments shortly after lunch. The first was my post-op followup from the pin removal in my left hand. That went well with no more followups required (another doctor down). From there we had to kill about an hour before PT/OT. That went well. In PT, I walked further than ever before and they are not following me with my wheelchair. I am putting more weight through my right leg and felt the rod against my femur. We are seeing more progress in my left foot. I am moving it higher and separating my toes more. These are good signs that the nerves are coming back.

Saturday, September 27:
I was excited to have my longtime friend, John, come visit from Conway. Other than the results from the Arkansas game, the visit was wonderful. Not much else, just good conversation and food.

Sunday, September 28:
Here is a minor milestone. I returned to church for the first time this morning. For those of you who know me well may not think this was such a big deal. However, the reception as I wheeled in and the comments from the minister melted me. I have so much appreciation for them. I feel like my own personal faith is growing. I will never be able to fully understand the magnitude of the prayers for healing that have been made on my behalf. I remain extremely humble as I begin to realize that am here through the grace of God.
I look forward to seeing my Mom soon as I relax for the rest of the day.

As always, Thank You!

J

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning, J! Enjoyed reading your news and learning of the progress! You cease to amaze me! You may become a mini Michael Phelps afterall. And, don't forget, you promised me a ski lesson! I hope today and this week bring many more wonderful steps (literally!).

Love ya!
Katie

Anonymous said...

Hey, Jerry!
It's Q
It's good to hear that you are recovering well. I'm sorry I haven't been able to visit. I tried to call a few days after the accident when Gus told me. But your phone had been turn off. I only have your work email. I new you won't be check that for awhile. Anyways I'm glad you are still with us. Hope everything goes well with your recovery and get well soon.

Anonymous said...

Hey J,
I knew you'd get past those two days last week. I'm glad to hear you're in better spirits. We all have low days and you are certainly entitled to yours. Just remember that we really can't put a time limit on God's healing. You're getting stronger every single day...what a blessing we're all witnessing. You're truly a miracle. Take care--Sugar

Anonymous said...

Wow!! I am sorry to say, it has been a couple of weeks since I've checked your blog. What progress you have made!! It is truly amazing how far you have come in 8/9 weeks. Just think where you will be in another 8 weeks! It's great to hear in your words, Jay how you are!! Keep up the good work, brother!!

Jennifer Denne

Anonymous said...

BTW, Scotty and I are coming in for the TU game! (Nov 3rd) Good Gawd, I hope we win!!

Jdenne

Anonymous said...

Day 1: It has been 24 hours since we last heard from the Captain. The crews' spirits remain high.

Day 2: The Captain still hasn't checked in. I don't know if his commmunicator is inoperable or if some ill fate has befall him. Crews' spirit still good.

Day 3: 3 days and still now word from the Captain. The crew is starting to think he has forgotten about us. Maybe we will hear something tomorrow. The crews' spirits are good, but starting to deteriorate.

Day 4: Still no post from the Captain. The crew is getting discouraged, and there is talk of mutiny. If the Captain doesn't contact us today, the crew is going to officially relieve him of duty.