Thursday, September 4, 2008

Thursday, September 4

J had a busy day today. He had OT and PT as usual, and he went to see the ear, nose and throat doc. His trach looks good, but there is a problem with his vocal cord. One of J's vocal cords is paralyzed. The paralysis may be from the accident itself or from the aorta repair. The ENT doesn't think it will get better. If it does get better, it will happen within the first year after the accident. There is a procedure that may help J have more volume that involves connecting his paralyzed cord to his working vocal cord. It is likely that J's voice will remain hoarse. While this is certainly not the news we wanted, J seems to be OK with it. This is just one small change, and in fact, his new laugh is very infectious.

As J and I have talked about this whole experience, his primary reaction is one of gratitude. There will of course be days when gratitude is hard to come by, but I am so impressed with the way he is handling this!

Love to you all,

Cara

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When life gives you lemons make lemonade. When GOD gives you a hoarse voice learn to say "Do you feel lucky punk?.....Well do ya..... punk?". I know not everyone will appreciate my sense of humor, but I know J will. I agree with one of the others on here that WE would like to hear from J. Make sure he knows that this will not get him a head start from the Marina back to the lake house!!!!! I look forward to seeing you guys real soon.
Jim

Anonymous said...

I must say, I agree with Jim on this one! Bring on the challenges! You are one strong dude!

Jennifer