Thursday, October 2, 2008

September 29 - October 2 - Wait til you hear this!

All,
I hope the crew's spirits increase again after this post.

Monday, September 29:
PT/OT was in the morning and I need to thank Susan for the ride. PT went well with an R-jo walk exceeding 400 feet! I got home at lunch fixed my own sandwich and waited for Cara and Sam to come home. Shortly after Sam came home, we took off for Allen's football game in Fort Smith. Overall a good, but tiring day.

Tuesday, September 30:
Back to work, now it is official that I am not supposed to be here. There is a form that needs to be filled out and returned to HR. Is this red tape? So I call to get an appointment and got it for 2:00 (this would not work with Cara's schedule). I call back and get one on the 1st at 3:00 (I forgot about OT/PT). Cara calls and gets a new one for today at 1:30.
This was my longest and most productive time at work to date. Went home tired.

Wednesday, October 1:
Work again in the morning. Lunch at Viejo. AT&T store to replace the phone that was lost during the wreck - yes, I kept the same number.
OT/PT in the afternoon. This is where it gets good. OT started out with the usual arm exercises. Julie suggested that we go to the kitchen and work on standing and reaching for items. I mentioned how I was tired of the chair and wanted to use the walker. Long story short, I did use the walker and can say I am walking. Now, I can't walk very far this is still new stuff to my legs and my left leg is still limited. PT was a very enjoyable session in the pool (Debbie did make sure I would feel it later - just because I am in the pool does not mean I do not work out). I was also able to borrow a walker and did some limited walking around the house. You would not understand how many doors this opens for me! I was exhausted by the time we all got home.

Thursday, October 2:
Yes, I am still at work against the rules. I will leave in less than an hour to visit my doctor and hopefully satisfy the HR requirements for being here.

Yes, yesterday was one of the best days that I have had since the accident. Being able to walk down the hall in my own house....I assume there will be another acceleration in my rehab!

Thank you,
J

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's great news Jerry! Can't wait to see you back at the 96th. Keep on keeping on!

Anonymous said...

Finally word from the Captain. The crew had a big sigh of relief after the Captain finally fixed his communicator, and contacted us. The ships surgeon reviewed his medical log, and thinks the Captain is doing remarkably well. His shuttle accident was worse than most of the crew knew. Good thing he can follow orders from Star Fleet Command. The crew has begun rescue efforts. First officer out.

Anonymous said...

J and Family,

Your Tyson family continues to keep you in our thoughts and prayers!

Woody Brown, chaplain

Anonymous said...

LOOK AT YOU!!! Oh my word...congrats! Next thing you know, you'll be to climb the stairs at Razorback stadium and cheer the Hogs to victory! Well, at least know the walking part will be true!
Sugar

Anonymous said...

I am so excited to hear this news. I knew this was just a bump in the road of life. Miss you much!!

Charlotte

Anonymous said...

WOW... that's AWESOME! Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

J - I'm SO glad to hear about your progression with walking. This is great news. Keep up the good work! We're still 'rooting' for you from FSM. - Elizabeth