Monday, September 22, 2008

September 20 - 22 - Can I Go To Work?

All,
Saturday brought a lot of fun with the visit from Tim, Gus and Paul. Even if Arkansas looked bad against Alabama, I was on the back porch with great friends eating rib eye and drinking cold beer. You know the conversations were memorable.

Sunday was a restful day as it should be. Cara and I went to Sam's football game. They finally won their first game and it took an overtime to do it. Sam carried the ball on a reverse, but he was dropped behind the line. On another play, the ball was thrown to him, but one of the two defenders tackled him before the ball got there. Blatant interference, but no call.
I forced myself to try to go to bed early for my big day on Monday.

Today, Monday September 22:
Right on time at 7:30 Mike arrived to take me to work for the first time in over two months. I know some people would savor a few more days of healing, but I have been itching to get back to work. Well, Mike's 4x4 F150 proved to be too much for me to transfer up to. No worries, Cara took me to work. I knew it would be more social than productive, but you have to start sometime. It felt so right to be back at my desk and it was wonderful to have all of my co-workers come to visit and welcome me back even some that I did not know very well. That shows you that I work in a very special place where we treat each other like family. I look forward to that same experience when I get down to Little Rock AFB.
Not to kid anybody, I am not ready for full time yet and left shortly after noon to rest before PT/OT. As a matter of fact, I can't offer more than 1/2 a day for several weeks due to various appointments. I do intend to offer as much as I can.
PT/OT went well again as I walked about 60 feet with that fancy walker (maybe I can remember the name of it next time). I did ask for some time frame on losing the wheelchair and the answer basically was when I could walk better and when I was cleared by the doctor. Since the follow up is October 22, I should expect another month on wheels. This seems like a long time, but she reminded me that the trip from the parking lot to my desk is a lot further away than it used to be and that is referring to muscle tissue and trauma, not miles or feet.
Currently, I am sitting in my recliner watching MNF while the rest of the family is at FHS watching Allen's football game. I was just too spent from the day to make it out there tonight.

Thank you for reading and maybe I will see a few of you tomorrow!

J

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

J, I hadn't checked in since last week and am so AMAZED to hear how well you're doing. You are quite the inspiration. Keep up the good work and you will be w/o 'wheels' soon. Love ya-Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Jerry, your family at the 96th is ready for you to be back. So good to hear your progress. You are simply amazing! I know it felt good to be back at your desk. You just keep on improving and before you know it, you will be ready for that next PT test. Just kidding! Hang in there and may God continue to bless you and the Hartfield family.

Joey York

Anonymous said...

Jerry, I am so glad to see that you have progressed so much! The next thing I know, you will be at an ASCE meeting! I can't wait to see you walking in on your crutches.

Natalie Becknell

Anonymous said...

Jerry it will be great to have you back at the unit, but don’t go back to work too soon. Just relax and take your time, its football season after all. You think Arkansas will beat Texas? Take care bud, look forward to seeing you soon.

T

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I am super proud of your determination and desire to keep going. You are truly amazing.
Your wife and kids are pretty amazing, i know that you thank god everyday for such a wonderful family and friends. You and us as well are truly blessed to have you here to share! Have a super rest of the week! Hugs, Kisses, and Love from Julie and the Kids.
GO PURPLE DAWGS!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so very grateful to the Lord for all of the progress that you are making each day. I pray that you continually believe on Him and His wonderful healing power! I am still continually keeping you in prayers :) .

Dave

Anonymous said...

Jerry,
That is great news to hear that things are getting more and more back to the norm. I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better. The Paladino boys and myself are ready for you to get back to the 96th. Maybe you will be feeling well enough to go out for a few beers with us. :)

I've been reading the post from Cara and you almost daily and I want to tell you that you have great family and friends. You are one lucky guy!

Hope to see you soon,
Clayton