Tuesday, September 9, 2008

September 9 - Hello from J!

All,
Hasn't Cara done a remarkable job on this blog? I simply can't put into words how grateful and blessed I am to have so many caring friends and family. You ALL are the reason why I am here at home typing this right now. I feel like my recovery is ahead of schedule with the exception of my left leg. Transitions are easier, sleeping is better and I am increasing my appetite. I was thrilled to be able to be released from the hospital and even attend most of Allen's first JV Fayetteville football game. I think being home will be even more therapeutic than ever.

I have told several people lately - "imagine eating lunch one day and then waking up 3 weeks later not knowing where you are or why you are there" Seriously and gratefully, I do not remember a single second from the wreck. I do not remember anything about heart surgery or traction or orthopedic surgery. The only thing I remember is waking up with tubes coming out of just about every part of my body. Shortly after that realization, the tubes started decreasing rapidly. Cara and my mom started filling in the blanks and told me what had happened. Cara showed me the x-rays. Then it seamed like several doctors, nurses and EMT people from Tulsa to Fayetteville have told me that it is amazing that I am still here. I have been told I must still have a purpose in this life. I am not certain what the purpose is yet, but I do think a lot of credit should go to all of the thoughts and prayers that I have received from all of you. The hospital visits meant the world to me and I would still enjoy home visits probably even more. My schedule with different follow up visits and out patient physical therapy will keep me very busy so please call first so I won't miss you.

Did you know that Cara never went home while I was in Tulsa? She was with me very day and most nights. Cara's parents took turns staying at our house taking care of the boys. When she needed a break, my mom, dad or aunt Mary were there to be with me. Eleanor and her family also made some special trips. I can't thank everyone individually for coming to see me. I am also upset that some of the visits like Mark Waddell, from Bethlehem, PA, were forgotten due to serious sedation shortly after the wreck.
I feel like I am on the downhill slope now and the recovery will be faster than ever.
Please stay in touch. My dad says I need patience and he is right. This is still going to be a long road before things are normal again. Approximately 2 more months without putting any weight on my legs then I get to start learning to walk again.
Obviously, this is my first post and should be my longest post.
Thank you for being a part of my life,
JH3 "J" Jerry Hartfield III
479-445-6377

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jerry, It's great to hear from you on here. Cara has been doing a great job of keeping us posted on your recovery. With the backing of her and your family I am sure we will see you back at drill in no time. You are in our thoughts everyday. If you or Cara need anything, don't hesitate to call.
Mark Compton

Anonymous said...

Hi J,
It is so great to hear from you! I am so happy and so proud of you for making the progress that you have made. The next couple of months will be challenging during therapy, but there is no doubt you will pass this test too. I can hear it in your voice how grateful you are to your wife and your family. You are awfully blessed to be surrounded by so much love in your life. Indeed, God does have an extended plan for you. How great it must feel to embark upon this extended journey with your wife right beside you.
Love and continued prayers from Nawlins~
Sugar

Anonymous said...

Jerry, we're so glad to hear you are home! I've been keeping up with Cara's blog and passing the info on to David. We're going to try to visit when he gets back from Afghanistan.
I can only imagine what this has been like for you and your family. You are all very blessed to have one another.
Take care and keep up the blogging!
Tina, David and Jordan Kemp

Anonymous said...

Good to read your words, my friend! Isnt God is great?
I agree that He has something amazing in store for you.
It was good to see you after you got back to Fayetteville. I really enjoyed meeting your family as well. You are truly blessed. I will make it a point to come see you again soon.
Hang in there, brother!

Marty Martin

Anonymous said...

Although our visit at the football stadium was brief, it was so wonderful to see you! I really believe that you have a purpose on this earth, whether or not you know it yet, is part of the journey! Your father is right, patience my friend, patience. You body will heal when it is ready, when it is ready, you better be ready for then you will find the purpose and the next journey will begin! Go PURPLE DAWGS!!!
Love and Prayers,
Julie and the Kids

Anonymous said...

Hi J. So great to hear from you! After reading your blog I have tears in my eyes. I'm so happy your back at home where you belong. See you soon-Elizabeth

Auntie Helen said...

J you have done AMAZING so far! The next few months are going to be rough but the love you have surrounding you will help you over come every obstacle. The strength and love you and Cara have for each other is very strong and she will be there to help pick you up when need. I got a chance to peak in and see her while you were in Tulsa and I must say she was holding up very well for everything you were going thru. AMAZING woman she is and you can see the love in her eyes when she spoke of you. I know its hard recovering but you have the will to survive and I have full faith you will do good during these next few months. Cara is certainly your strength as well as those boys.. You have a beautiful family. Focus on your future and you will come out on top and surprise all those doctors on how fast you get back to a more normal way of life. God does have plans for you and your family continue to stay strong.. You are a true Survivor! I wish you the best of luck over these next few months of rehab recovery… Prayers are still sent out for you and your family.. Hugs to you both, Helen (Green) Delk & Scott Delk
P.S. Cara thank you for the card it was very sweet.

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! So good to hear you are getting back to "normal" living!
Katrenia

Anonymous said...

Jerry, it sure is great to hear you are finally home. See, prayer is strong. We had a great UTA, but we were missing a very important part and that was you. Please be patient and let the recovery process continue. Please don't rush it. We'll always be there. Just continue to heal. You are truly loved by each and every member and we sincerely look forward to seeing you. We will stay in touch. I am still doing my "25 push-ups for Jerry." I'm up to 40 now, which is the max I need for my upcoming PT test...ha!!! I think I will stop there. You have been my motivation and my inspiration because I know that if you could, you would be doing those raunchy push-ups right along with me. I'm not going to give up so you don't either. Keep fighting and hopefully we'll see you soon. Take care and May God continue to bless the Hartfield family.

Joey York