Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11 - Time to remember

All,
September 11 will always bring several different thoughts to several different people.
I encourage everyone to take a moment and think about those affected.

We met with and retained our lawyer today and feel very optimistic about the long term results.
That was the good news of the day.

This afternoon's doctor appointment was a nerve evaluation of my left (most severely damaged) leg. The diagnosis confirmed what many others have said and it is not my best news. There is significant nerve damage. He could not completely determine the exact location of the damage, but it is somewhere in my back. (I previously thought it was in my left shin) The fact that there were minor signals and that I am able to slightly raise my left foot indicates that the nerve is not severed. This means that it will likely heal, but at it's own pace. Most of the medical people we have talked to say to expect at least 1 year. Fortunately, my right leg is healing rapidly. I will go to Tulsa next week for an evaluation of all of the orthopaedic surgeries. I would be thrilled if they allow me to start bearing weight on my right leg ahead of schedule.

It took some time, but I got logged onto the Tyson network and e-mail this afternoon. For those of you getting used to my Yahoo account, I will be checking it less frequently. I will be staying logged on to the Tyson account more regularly (maybe even working a little). That e-mail is jerry.hartfieldiii@tyson.com.

I still enjoy all of the calls, blog comments, e-mails and visits - keep them coming.
Talk to you tomorrow,
J

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jerry,

It's good to see your comments on the blog. It was so good seeing you a couple of weeks ago. Continue to take those baby steps. Each day will bring something new. We sure miss you and I hope to see you again soon. If you need anything please let me know.

Cindy

Anonymous said...

Jerry - It's wonderful to know that you are doing so much better! We have been reading Cara's postings every single day and thinking not only about you, but also your wonderful family. Cara - you are an amazing woman! I think fondly of you every day as you "stand by your man", have held your self and your family together and still took the time nightly to post a blog for those of us who can only be with you through technology. Sam and Alan are in our thoughts daily as they have persevered through this time of worry, change and family upheaval. We wish we could have been there to help the boys through this difficult time.

Thank you for keeping us informed of your daily struggles. What may seem like baby steps and part of your new daily routine is so very important to those of us reading the posts and praying for you all every step of the way! Keep the steps coming!

Thinking of you fondly -
Lynn, Tim, Riley, Devon & Logan Rathbun

Anonymous said...

Hi J!

I am so glad you are able to be back home with Cara and the boys. Of course it is where you are supposed to be and where your recovery with go the fastest. My thoughts are with all of you.

Lisa

Ronald of Arabia said...

Home is a good thing.

Glad you are healing-- keep up the fight.

Ron

Anonymous said...

Hey, Jerry!
It's Q
It's good to hear that you are recovering well. I'm sorry I haven't been able to visit. I tried to call a few days after the accident when Gus told me. But your phone had been turn off. I only have your work email. I new you won't be check that for awhile. Anyways I'm glad you are still with us. Hope everything goes well with your recovery and get well soon.