Tuesday, October 28, 2008

October 28 - Keep chugging along

All,

On the legal front there is not much I can say. It is a fact that the owner of the vehicle and the driver of the vehicle both had individual insurance policies. However, their policies were the state minimum for personal injury. My motorcycle insurance policy had under-insured motorists coverage for my injuries. These three individual claims will cover maybe 1/3 of my total medical bills. There does not appear to be further assets to acquire for the rest of the bills. My personal health care plan has already paid a significant amount to the bills, but they want to be reimbursed if the injuries were the result of an accident with someone else at fault - they obviously are. At this time, it is the goal to make me "whole" which could take a significant time. There is a very real possibility that I will never be "whole" again. My attorney has transitioned from insurance policy claims to medical bill negotiations. The intention is to reduce the total amount of the bills as far as possible. As I understand it, it appears that we will not have to pay any medical bills, but at the same time, we will not be getting any pain and suffering money for the ordeal.

On the medical front, not much has changed since my last post. PT sent me home on Friday with a cane to use around the house. I tried a little over the weekend, but felt very unstable. I have no faith in my left leg so the limp is much more pronounced with the cane. I learned at PT yesterday that my left hamstring has become very weak. I think this is something I need to focus on. The left knee is still giving me a lot of trouble and my left ankle is tighter than ever when I wake up.

I have some very specific goals to achieve and one small one was accomplished this morning. I showered standing up! Up until now, I have been sitting on a plastic shower stool.
Now if I could just figure out the socks and shoes.....

Thank you all for your support!
J

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jerry: Obviously a life altering event like this is a journey...you have made it through the POE..(a hell of a feat in itself!)...now you will be in transit for maybe years..with a goal of a normal life..(the POD)...there are alot of people who are glad you are still here to take this journey....please find the strength to hang in there and thank God that you will be able to watch your kids grow up, and grandkids...and keep working...and maybe have a little fun now and then..etc...keep digging deep and don't hesititate to lean on friends....Jeff Haynes

Anonymous said...

Hi J,
Thanks for the continued posts. I know everyone is still praying for you and the prayers are obviously working. I'm happy to hear about your feat with the shower. One goal at a time...you will master the cane and then master walking without it. It's all in due time. You have come so far in such a short amount of time. I'm sure 8 weeks ago, you were dreaming of the day when you could actually watch your boys play football. Now, you just have to decide how to walk there. Keep up the great work---and enjoy all of these miracles you are living.
Sugar