Wednesday, February 25, 2009

When does a pet become part of the family?


Is it one year? five years? ten years?
Bubba passed away last night sometime between 11:00 and 12:30. He was definitely a part of our family and was with us for well over 17 years. We all knew it was coming, but he was just so full of love and affection that we hoped he would be with us forever. We knew he was suffering from renal failure, but he seemed to be happy and was still quick to jump in our laps. It just hapened all of a sudden. Cara noticed that he seemed to have lost his balance while walking yesterday morning. His conditioned worsened throughout the day. I was able to hold him last night after I got home after 9:30. Cara and I tried to comfort him in bed before we knew we had to turn out the lights and try to go to sleep.
Bubba will be deeply missed even by those who really do not care for cats. He was not a normal cat. He loved to be around people. Any time we had guests over to the house, he would visit with them and stay in the room where the people were. Cara and I often joked about cloning him because we know there will never be another cat in our family that could compare to him.
Our family is hurting right now. We know he is at peace now and we surely hope he was not suffering during those last 12 hours.
Say goodbye to our very special member of the family.
J

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My pets have always been members of my family so I completely understand your pain right now. I'm glad Bubba was fortunate to have such a loving family to claim (b/c we all know cats claim us---we don't claim them). I hope you find peace in knowing he's in heaven with all of the other dogs and cats and will see you soon enough. Sugar

Anonymous said...

Hey J,
I am with you buddy...I held our first cat Puddin during the night he died, and had to take one of our kittens, Scooter, and have her put down after three blood transfusions didn't do the trick. It was hard because I delived her when she was born and was there when she died, three short years. Now we have another cat, Tigger, who only weighs four pounds, and has swollen lymph nodes around her stomach that keeps her from keeping her food down. It may be close to time for her to go as well, and it really sucks. The little furry butts get right into your soul if you let them...Big tough guys crying over cats...how absurd, but you just can't help it, or at least I couln't.

Fletch