Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Ice Storms and Gall Bladders

How about that for a subject header?
People in Northwest Arkansas were hit by a major ice storm last week that left many without power for over a week.
Trees down everywhere etc.

We lost some major branches on the Japanese Maples out front, but the Crepe Mertyls in back sprang right back up. The forested area of our yard was thinned out pretty good, so I guess the Storm kick started that plan. Tim Stuthard was nice enough to come by yesterday and arrange the branches and trim them to the right size.

Throughout the storm, we never lost significant power. The lights flickered and the TV's reset a couple of times on Tuesday, but it was while we were sleeping when it was off the longest - maybe 3 hours.

As many will say and have said in the past, we were very lucky and fortunate.
Both Cara and I ventured out to work last Thursday and Friday. You wondered why at times with so few people there.

Shortly after lunch on Friday, I started to get some fairly significant stomach pains. On trip to the restroom did not provide relief I was looking for, so I finally told Vong and Stephen that I needed to go home and lay down. The pain kept getting worse and by the time I wanted to go to the walk-in clinic, it had closed. I refused to go to the ER on Friday night, so I vowed to tough it out and go to the clinic Saturday morning if this pain had not passed. The clinic doctor confirmed Cara's suspicion and sent me to the ER anyway. I was not in the ER for more than thirty minutes before they admitted me into room 5319. One quick trip to ultrasound and a brief visit with Dr. Keller and I was scheduled for surgery on Sunday morning to remove my Gall Bladder.

It turns out that this was a little different than most. The gall bladder was "dead" ugly dark green and black. They call it lathroscopic, but he had to cut the removal hole a little bigger.

I was home for the Super Bowl, but it was not a party. I tried to sleep in my bed, but ti just hurt too much. - -It shows you how good those special drugs really are.
For the past two nights and days, I have stayed primarily on my recliner dozing in and out of naps. My stomach is still swollen like a tick, but each burp relieves more pressure.

There is no speculation that the gall bladder is related to the wreck, it just feels like bad circumstance.

J

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad surgery is over and went well. I feel for you! They say bad things happen in 3's...surely this is the end of the bad. Now time for the good! We continue to keep you and Cara in our thoughts and prayers. Love you all! - EP

Anonymous said...

Man, you can't buy a break, can you? (Not sure if 'break' is the best word there). Hang in there buddy. We're still praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Dude - you've got to knock this off! Spring is just around the corner and it's time to hit the lake! I'll carry you to the boat if I have to!

Get better soon!
Tim Rathbun

Jim said...

Jeez, Jerry... you can't cut a break! Thank goodness for health insurance. I should be coming down that way before too long.

Get well soon!

Jim

Anonymous said...

First Officer's Log - Stardate 20409 - The Captain has taken ill once again. Security officer fears that this is the work of the Corona 12. They have been plotting against the Captain for quite some time. Taking my own initiative, the crew of the USS Mental Floss and I are preparing for an all out assault of planet Corona 6. It is a surprise attack. They won't know what hit them. We have our dylithium powered openers charged and ready to do battle. We will interigate them harshly and find out if they were at the bottom of this latest plot against the Captain. We will interogate them until they are just empty shells clanking around on their bridge. First Officer OUT!

Anonymous said...

bless YOUR heart....I'm so sorry to hear you've been BACK in the hospital. are you sure it's not he food you're missing?! i sure hope you get to feeling better soon---and that all of you stay healthy for a better 2009.
sugar