Monday, February 9, 2009

Two cripple guys in a convertible


All,

(the picture is from Thanksgiving)
Allen and I had another good driving lesson last Saturday. We took off in his Spyder gased it up, drove it through the car wash (yes - it leaks), dropped the top and headed out on the highway. He drove me down HWY 59 through Van Buren and into Fort Smith. We ate lunch with my parents and caused quite a conversation piece as two handicapped people, Allen on crutches and me with my cane, climb out of the convertible and walk to the restaurant. After lunch, we were pressed for time so he took I-540 back to Fayetteville. His driving is improving every time and he expects to take his driving test in March. I am still not sure if I am ready for him to be on the open road without me.
Gall bladder - I started to feel like a different person on Friday in a good way. The weekend went well and my follow up with the doctor this morning gives me clean bill of health.
Left Knee - The surgery date on my left knee has been moved up from March 6th to this Friday. I am very optimistic that this will be the last surgery as a result of the motorcycle wreck and the jump start to the final stages of my recovery.
Allen's leg - Allen will still be on very limited weight bearing on his left leg for the next few weeks, but he is getting around much better. Around the house, he tends to leave his crutches and hop on his good leg.
With both me and Allen having limited mobility, Cara really gets the short end of the stick. She is doing an incredible job of keeping the house in order, but I can tell it is wearing on her. I can only hope that Allen and I will be back in the game soon so we can take some of the burden off of her.
I do not know what I would do without her support.
Sam is doing well.
I will try to update the blog again after my surgery this Friday.
J

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update and best of luck Friday!
We missed you at drill. Hope to see you there in March.

Anonymous said...

So glad to know you're feeling better from the gall bladder surgery and that your knee surgery is this week. We'll be thinking of you.

I can't believe Alan can drive! ;-o
Love you all-EP

Anonymous said...

Cara is the best...no doubt about it. Good luck on Friday....what a great step in the right direction.
Sugar