Monday, December 1, 2008

Post Thanksgiving Blues

All,
When you have a Thanksgiving as wonderful as I do, you can't help but get some blues afterwards. It is such a blessing, thrill, honor and a treat to be able to host the entire family for an unbelievable feast that everyone contributed to making. Of course, I mostly sat in my chair or in a bag chair in the back yard. Cara fixed the house and stayed busy from morning to evening, not to mention days before.

I guess it was around 6 when the last guest left the house. It wasn't long after that when Cara and I retired to our bedroom. I am certain that I was asleep by 9:30 for the night. After sleeping in a little on Black Friday, Cara and the boys loaded the truck for a weekend at the lake.
During the ride to the lake, I thought it would make the boys happier if they had a guest from Springfield. With some luck, Lynne and Tim brought their boys Riley, Devon and Logan and they also brought Allen's best friend, Josh for a day trip on Saturday in our cabin. Cara made our traditional gumbo, while we visitied with good friends. The boys had a great time seeing friends they do not regularly see. This is simply another benefit of the cabin.
Yesterday became an exhausting day that required packing up and driving home from the lake in the "snow storm". Since I had done so much "work", I simply went right to the bedroom and took a much needed nap. I did not leave my bedroom again until this morning on the way to work.
If you are concerned about my recovery from the wreck, there will not be much to tell until I visit the doctor on December 17th. I will say that I think I am feeling more pain and stiffness in my left knee than I was, but I may also just be more sensitive. While I always carry a Hydrocodone in my pocket, I rarely take one these days.
I hope everyone had a happy and safe Thanksgiving weekend like we did,
J


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was really great seeing you guys Friday! I'm so glad our schedule was open so we could spend the day with you all and let the boys do their boy thing! Cara - your Gumbo is delicious! Tim is still talking about how good it was, so it's good that I got the recipe. He's talking about making it a New Years tradition with our family. Sam - thank you for sharing your birthday cake with us! I'm sorry we didn't know it was your special day so we could've brought you a gift. But at least you got to play with Riley (and Devon & Logan). It's funny how Sam & Riley just pick up right where they left off the last time they were together - as if it were just last week! Thank goodness we can get them together at the lake!

Continue to take care of yourselves! Have a wonderful Holiday Season!

The Rathbun Family - Springfield, MO

Anonymous said...

As I type, we're busily making plans for the move to Illinois later this month. We've made arrangements with TMO to be packed out next Mon./Tues. and be loaded on Wed. We'll spend a few days at TLF then be off to my sister's house in Lonoke, AR for Christmas. There's nothing quite like being "homeless" for the holidays... and this is the second time we've done it... lol! We will likely ring in the new year at Scott AFB. We plan to live in base housing again since this is only guaranteed to be a 3-year gig.

I'm glad to hear that things continue to go well for you. I will try to visit the blog more often once we get settled next month. If I don't chat with you before then, I hope you have a very Merry Christmas and wish you many blessings in 2009!