Thursday, December 18, 2008

More Tests / More Doctors

All,

Simply put - My visit with Dr. Arnold was disappointing, confusing and frustrating.

That is by no means directed at him and I will explain more for those who continue to read below.

I was no less than giddy yesterday morning. I was excited that December 17th was finally here and I would see Dr. Arnold about my left knee which I believe has kept me from making the final steps to walking without a walker. His office called and postponed the visit from 2:30 to 4:45 because he was needed for emergency surgery. I did not care and happily agreed. I was still going to see him that day and I know how busy and talented he is.

You see, I wanted an answer.
Obviously Dr. Stafford knew there were more complications since he ordered the MRI. The MRI was completed on November 13th over a month ago and I have been waiting for news on what to do. Dr. Stafford mentioned a few possibilities, but happily deferred them to Dr, Arnold.
Dr. Arnold was obviously busy and could not be seen until yesterday.

I am sure I was asking too much to want an answer last night. This is where my lack of patience really shows. But does anyone understand? My knee is swollen, it hurts a lot, my physical therapists have said they have done all they can do for now. It has been over a month since the MRI and I still don't have the answer I think I was wanting - "It will all be better once we do this..."

The honest answer is Trauma injuries are difficult. The trauma to my knee was/is very complicated. This ordeal is far from over.

I had more X-rays taken last night and Dr. Arnold immediately noticed that the patella was dis-located. He showed us that it is off to the side and not even close to the natural groove it is supposed to be in. He mentioned that what is left of the patella may not even have healed. Like Dr. Stafford, Dr. Arnold and his nurse believe that there could still be some foreign bodies floating around causing some of the pain. Finally, he said it was likely that he would need to operate on my knee, but not before getting some more answers.

The future:
1. Get the films from the MRI
2. Schedule me for an appointment with a Neurologist (I still do not know why, but it is
related to the drop foot and the extent of the nerve injuries)
3. Schedule me for a CT scan of the knee

Patience - I simply respect all those people who have it. I try, I ask for it. I am getting tired of this trip and want to move on.

I understand that I will never be the same as I was before the wreck. I still have not given up on walking, but I need to accept that there most likely will be permanent damage to my left leg.

J



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know patients isn't something that comes to us easily, but just do what I do. Have Spock put a Vulcan mind meld on you and you'll forget all about it.
Stardate 122308: First Officer's log. Captain Crunch has been to the Arnold starbase medical colony for a follow-up visit. The doctor there thinks that the Captain may have alien particles implanted in him. This will require more testing. Spock may have to give him the Vulcan grip to subdue him. The Captain is not patient and not himself. What am I saying. The Captain is always impatient. Doctor Feelgood assures me and the rest of the crew that he will be ready for the next galaxy conference with the Corona 12. Intelligence believes that we will have to do battle with them in the near future. The Captain will be ready. He just must. First Officer out.

Anonymous said...

I know you're running short on patience---I understand. And this has been a very long haul for you, Cara, your children, and your parents. Please go back and read your post about God's presence. He continues to work on your healing and is now working through a different doctor. You're going to be okay---you've always been in good hands. Sugar