Wednesday, November 19, 2008

News from Dr. Stafford - regarding the MRI

I want to summarize this the best that I can right after the call:
What the MRI found:
As expected, no major damage to the ligaments.
The joint is stable overall.
Inflamed patellar tendon
Some form of bakers cist that has likely been there for a long time.
I think he said the tendon and the patella are not where they are supposed to be.
(This was moved back in 1987)

What he would do:
Arthroscope to physically see the cartilage, scar tissue and patella to make a determination
If feasible, he would remove scar tissue, re-shape the patella (again) remove the cist and possibly the old screw. If the cartilage is in bad shape and the patella is not worth re-shaping, he mentioned having surgery to remove the patella again. He almost leaned that direction, but made sure he wanted to see inside with a scope before making the determination. This would require a minimum of 2 more trips to Tulsa for operations.

What he is going to do:
His office is going to call Dr. Arnold's office in Springdale this morning to see if he would accept the referral. If he accepts, they will forward all the information and records.

What I am going to do:
Call Dr. Arnold's office this afternoon at about 3:00 to make an appointment.
I assume this will be an office visit before we schedule any procedures.
If Dr. Arnold's office has not heard anything about this, I am supposed to call Dr. Stafford's office.

The bottomline is that an office visit here is a lot easier oon alll of us than continuing trips to Tulsa. Dr. Arnold has operated on me before, so he knows most of my history, just not about the motorcycle wreck. Hopefully this will help me push forward.

J

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY!!! No knee replacement even mentioned. WOW!! AND----no more frequent trips to Sooner country. Excellent news, J---thanks for keeping everyone posted. Just more and more progress---wonderful. How are you doing at work? Does everything seem sort of 'back to normal'? Are you using your walker or your cane more?
Sugar

Anonymous said...

J- we have something in common... I am scheduled for a knee scope next week with Dr. Arnold. i have been having knee trouble for about a year and a half. If I use it at all it gets to hurting pretty bad. It kept me up late last night. The bad thing is that surgery is scheduled for Wednesday the day before Thanksgiving. But I hope that they find something they can improve and I will have much to be thankful for when it heals. I have only heard good things about Dr. Arnold but am still nervous about surgery. Wouldn't it be great if we were walking without assistance in the spring? I hope you have a great holiday with your family.

Natalie Becknell