Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Tulsa

Before I discuss my trip to Tulsa today, I must mention what hapenned last night.
Sam had a football game last night. He plays wide receiver and was not looked at all night. Late in the 4th quarter, Sam's team sustained a long drive down the field using the wildcat formation, with Cheyenne receiving the snap. Cheyenne has the option to run or pass and completed several passes in a row. The last pass was in the endzone to Sam. Sam caught the ball for the team's 3rd touchdown of the game!
This is huge as the team went into this game 0-5 with only 2 touchdowns in the previous 5 games. We left the field with a 28-21 loss, but a lot of positive energy and happy boys.
Way to go Sam!!!

OK, so I go to Tulsa today for 2 reasons. First, to get tested for surgery on the 22nd. Second, to visit the doctor and get x-rays. The first item went fine and I am completely healthy. The second item did not go as well as I would hope. It is obvious that I need this surgery to correct the length of my left leg and to try to properly align my left hip. This will improve my stance, posture and help ease my back pain. The doctor gave me a 95% probability that the bones would heal which is good news. The bad news is that most of my trauma occured around my left hip. All of the muscles that help move the hip are damaged and atrophied. I asked him if this could be resolved with therapy and exercise, but he did not think they could fully recover. He said I will most likely have a limp - which I expected, but he also said I may need a cane permanently - this is what I was dreading and trying to avoid. He still strongly feels like this is a better option than the hip replacement. Finally, he wants me to get a CT scan of my hip so he will know where to cut. The problem is the timing. He needs the CD by Tuesday so he can read it. We are put in the position to schedule a CT scan ourselves either tomorrow or Friday so I will be able to mail it to him by Tuesday. This is not a walk-in type of X-ray, they usually schedule 2 weeks out. Without the CT, we may need to postpone the surgery yet again....

J

3 comments:

Patty Mullins said...

First, congrats to Sam!

J, I know that all of this can be extremely frustrating at times. I will pray that God opens the doors that need to be opened so that you can have the surgery you need and get it over with as soon as possible.

Dave Collins said...

Hey, Jerry,

I am sorry that I have not been on here in a while. I have been quite busy with college, teaching piano, etc.

You are always still in my thoughts and prayers, and I know that you will make it all the way through all these tests :) . I am so glad that you are making a lot of progress since the unforseen accident. I continue to pray for strength and confidence in you :) .

Please give me an e-mail as soon as you can. I got some wonderful news to share with you :) (dcollins@atu.edu).

Anonymous said...

Jim Said....
Oh pish posh. What does the silly doctor know? He obviously doesn't KNOW you. I know that once you set that anal retentive mind of yours to something you MAKE it happen. Now that is not a bad thing. You have the mental strength, determination, and family support that will get you thru this. Don't make me pull the Enterprise out of moth balls. LOL. Keep the faith brother!!!! I have had this feeling for quite some time that you are going to surprise the medical world with your recovery. YOU SHOW THEM JERRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!