Friday, October 30, 2009

One week later

All,
It has been a week since my last post. As expected, I was discharged and went home last Sunday. Since then I have spent the majority of my time in my bed. I expected this surgery to be more painful than the last one, but I would have never guessed where the pain would come from. They cut my femur and re-aligned the hip as expected. Ironically, there is little to no pain in my hip. While they lengthened my left leg, they stretched the sciatic nerve. I think the doctor assumed that the nerve was tethered in the knee joint. The result is extreme pain along my left shin and ankle with the slightest movement. The drop foot is easily as bad as it was after the first trauma surgery and the top of my foot is almost completely numb.
As we have learned, nerve damage takes a long time to heal. I have a follow up appointment in Tulsa this Wednesday. Hopefully we can learn more ways to treat this nerve damage and expedite the healing.
I hate for this to be a gloomy update. Cara has been wonderful putting up with my moans and growns. I want to return to work soon, but I am worried about managing the pain while sitting in my office chair.
I will post a new update after the doctor appointment this Wednesday.
J.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what pain in the siatic nerve feels like. Until you experience it you just don't have any idea. I hope that it settles down for you soon. I am glad, however, that you don't have the pain in your hip. You know I've always wondered if you had a drop foot anyways. Every time I have been with you and you were driving it seemed like your right foot always pointed to the floor. Like the time we were going 90mph in the Porsche in Republic. LOL......Anyway just know that you have lots of friends thinking about you.......
First Officer....lol