Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Good News - possibly

Well, my hip surgery was postponed from today until tomorrow. We were very frustrated and blamed it on a lack of communication between the two different surgeons who will be operating. The fact is that I have not seen either one since April and I have not seen the one I met with today since last October. He let me know that today's X-rays looked better than April's X-rays. There is a possibility that the femoral non-union has actually healed - or at least healed more than it was before. The problem is that the implants (plate and screws) prevent them from getting a good look with either X-rays or CT scans. We also learned that a lot of my discomfort may be more related to the heterotopic bone growth, than to non-union in the hip joint.
I am now scheduled for a surgery at 1:00 P.M. tomorrow. The main scope of this operation is to remove the implants and as much heterotopic bone mass as possible. A day or two after the operation, I will have a CT scan to examine the bone growth at the femoral-hip union. I will also be receiving a dose of radiation to resist any future heterotopic bone growth.
The good news is: if the femoral union has healed, I will not require the bone graft and the new implant in my femur, with the removal of the extra bone mass my hip flexibility and rotation will be improved, and I could be putting weight on my leg in as little as three weeks rather than 3 months.
The bad news is if the CT scan reveals a lack of bone healing in the femoral neck, we go back to plan A with a bone graft and no weight for 3 months. However, this operation could happen as early as Saturday and I would still be returning to Fayetteville on Tuesday or Wednesday.
Overall, I must be happy with delaying the surgery one day an visiting with the doctor today.
J

3 comments:

Eleanor said...

This all sounds good! About time and overdue. I cannot wait to hear how this first surgery goes, but even more, to hear about the CT scan!!!!

Anonymous said...

Jim said....Well that does sound somewhat promising. It would be so much better to be "on your feet" that much earlier. I hope that is the case.

Anonymous said...

J,
you know that you are in my thoughts, hope all works out for the best.

Love you all, Tim