Monday, May 10, 2010

Life is good

All,
It has been over a month since my last post. A lot has hapenned in this past month so I do not really know where to start.
My previous post announced an up-coming surgery. The nerve de-compression surgery was performed last Friday and as expected, it went very well. Dr. Norris called it a success. We will not know the real results right away because it still takes a long time for nerves to heal, but it is still positive to think that the paraneal nerve may not be permanently damaged. Now, the test of time will tell the progress.
Speaking of progress, I feel better than I have since the wreck. Work has released me to full status and I have gone on three site visits since the release. It feels great to be back in the game and doing what I am supposed to do.
Last Saturday was graduation at the University of Arkansas. I completed my Master of Science in Operations Management through the college of Industrial Engineering. This is a milestone that I have wanted to complete for a long time. I am nothing less that proud and happy to reach this accomplishment and look forward to wearing an alumni shirt with pride.
Allen has entered the workforce. A few weeks ago he started working at Hardees and is doing a great job. We were lucky to pick up a car from a co-worker and he is back on the road. Riding the bus to school for a month and a half was a real eye opener for him and he has a new appreciation of work and transportation. We are extremely proud of him!
Of course we are getting lake fever. Allen's new job is going to present new challenges and tough decisions regarding lake weekends. We will see how this transition goes.
Sam is doing well in school, but seems to be looking for attention that does not please the teachers - particularly substitute teachers. I hope that Cara's recent talk with him will sink in the importance of respect to his teachers as well as fellow students.
Cara is still working very hard. It is hard to call her practice new anymore. We are optimistic that the bugs keeping her from getting paid by Medicare will be worked out soon.
I enjoyed going to Fort Smith yesterday to see my mom and dad. It was the first time for me to see my mom since her surgery on her broken femur. She looked very good and seems to be healing well. I learned that my dad has scheduled his retirement. This is a huge milestone for him that he swears he is looking forward to, but I still do not see him retiring.
That is about all for now. I need to schedule a two week follow up appointment to get the staples removed and to learn more about my prognosis. It should be all good news from here on out.
Still no word from the Air Force. My hopes for returning to service continue to dim.
J.

No comments: