Thursday, July 29, 2010

It has been 2 years today

All,
Two years ago my life was turned upside down. Hundreds of family members and friends prayed for my survival and recovery. The doctors said it could take between one to two years to recover. I can tell you that it has taken every bit of those two years. A good portion of the time was challenging and I am certain that the prayers and support helped me get through. I have questioned some of my doctors' decisions. I felt impatient many times. I tried as hard as I could to keep a positive outlook, but I admit there were times where I sank into self-pity.

Currently, I occaisionaly take Nuerontin, but other than that I am prescription free. I am walking without crutches or a cane and I sense I am getting faster and more sure footed every day. I was released to full work status a couple of months ago - meaning I could travel to plants which is a major part of my job. I am continuing to go out more and do more things that I used to, but had stopped due to discomfort.

I can say that overall I have made an incredible recovery. I never want to say that I am lucky. I prefer to say my life was in other hands and they lifted me up. With that I want to continue to thank everyone who was there for me.

Life is not perfect. There are three major issues that prevent a 100% recovery.
1. Drop Foot - the drop foot persists and it is difficult to walk without the aid of the AFO. I recently purchased my first pair of odd sized shoes as I realize this is the way it is going to be.
2. No knee cap - The removal of the patella greatly weakens the knee joint particularly in leg extension. What this does to my walking is prevent me from putting full weight on my leg as the knee bends. I should resume going to the gym to strenghten the muscles in the knee, but the doctor told us from the beginning that it would never be as strong.
3. Arthritis in the left hip - The trauma to my left hip was beyond severe. It is nothing less than amazing that I did not lose it. At this point, the bone has mostly healed, but arthritis will remain and continue to get worse. My instructions are to endure the discomfort as long as I can to postpone the inevitable hip replacement.

Basically, I think I have fully healed in these past two years. I doubt I will ever say that I am fully recovered.

I will always remember July 29th and consider it like a birthday. Most people do not get to the hospital in time to survive an aortic tear. God looked over me two years ago and gave me a second chance. For that I will be eternally grateful.

Thank you all for being with me,
J.

2 comments:

Patty Mullins said...

You came to mind a week or so ago and I was thinking that it was around the time of the anniversary of your accident. I'm so glad to hear of your continued healing, and your positive attitude in spite of your new reality. Say "Hello" to Cara for me.

Michael Young said...

Jerry,

It's been awhile since I checked the blog, but just wanted to let you know I still think about you and yours. I attended Scott Kelley's retirement ceremony in June. It was the first time I had been at the 96th in exactly a year. I miss it and I know you do too. I hope everything is going as well as it possibly can for you. Keep the updates coming.

Take care,

Michael